GP Rating means General purpose Rating. GP Rating candidates are those who have been trained in both Deck and Engine Room tasks. Such ratings may be employed either in deck department or Engine department according to the needs of the company. They perform tasks related to Seamanship, Cargo handling, Maintenance work on deck, Operation and maintenance of Machinery. This Course ensured higher employability of the Indian seafarers in world market.
GP Rating is a six months residential course approved by D.G Shipping (Govt of India). GP Rating syllabus includes combined study of Deck and Engineering subjects. This course will cover all aspects of the seafaring profession (Deck and Engine), which also include swimming, physical drills, workshop training, rope and mast climbing, lifesaving appliances usage, fire fighting exercises and ship visits etc. After the training, external examinations is conducted by Board of Examination of Seafarers (BES) under D.G Shipping (Govt of India).
Students who successfully pass the examination (BES) are issued INDIAN CDC and are eligible for ship jobs around the world. The students can join ship as trainee OS (Ordinary Seaman) / trainee fitter / trainee oiler / trainee engine room cadet (for Diploma holders). The G.P.Rating candidate will be able to work in all seamanship activities on-board at deck side & as well as at Engine side. With further Sea-service, they will be promoted as, Able-Bodied Seamen / Engine Fitter, Bosun, etc.
They can also be promoted to officer Level with certain sea service (36 months) and qualification requirements. There are wide job opportunities for Indian Seamen all over the world.
Those candidates who want to pursue career in Merchant Navy as soon as passing 10thStandard can join GP Rating course Or NCV Deck cadet Course. These courses help the candidates to pursue career in Merchant Navy and help in financial growth after 6 months of Pre-sea training.
There is no Common Entrance Test for GP Rating. But some institutes conduct their own test to select the candidates.
G.P RATING ELIGIBILITY.
Minimum educational qualification is a pass in the S.S.C / 10th or its equivalent exam from any recognized board. Aggregate/ overall percentage must not be less than 40% and in ENGLISH subject minimum required is 40% either in 10th/12th exams.
Maximum age limit is 25 years at the time of commencement of course.
Minimum Height-157 cms, Weight-48 kgs.
Should be physically fit for sea and should meet the medical standards laid by the Director General of shipping.
Use of corrective lenses for eyesight is permitted but the maximum permissible limits, at entry, are 6/12 in each eye or 6/9 in better eye and 6/18 in other eye for distant unaided vision. Color blindness is not permitted.
Mode of selection:
Written /Interview/ Medical examination.
GP Rating Course duration:
GP rating course is a 6 months residential course.
GP Rating Course fees:
Around 2 lakh rupees, Depends on the college the candidate get selected.
Latest course fee of all institutes are available on BES website.
GP Rating Salary:
In training period as an Ordinary seaman gets 200-300$(Rs 12000-18000), after 9 months of sea service as an Ordinary seaman candidate gets Watch keeping certificate then candidate gets promoted as Able bodied seaman(AB) salary 1000-1500$ .Further experience makes him Bosun Salary(2000-2500$)and also officer (3000-3500$) if candidate has required qualifications.
Note: Candidates desirous of joining the course must apply for a passport immediately, if they do not already have a passport, as it is a requirement when applying for C.D.C.
GP Rating Career.
10th standard 40% aggregate and minimum 40 marks in English OR I.T.I all Trade pass
Age 17½ to 25 yrs.
Application- Interview- selection-Medical/ Eyesight
6 Months Pre Sea Training
(Residential Course in the Academy)
Obtain standard training, Certificate of watch keeping Mandatory (STCW) course certificate & Indian continuosDischarge Certificate (CDC)
12 months sail as Deck (crew) or engine (crew) (Stipend US $ 200/- to US $ 300/- per month)
Obtain watch keeping certificate issued by D.G Shipping, on successful completion of
12 months training onboard from mercantile marine Department
Sail as motorman or Able seamen for another 12 month
(Salary U.S. $ 1100/- to U. S. $ 1400/- per Month)
After total sea time of 24 months appear NCV 2nd mate (DECK)/ appear for class 4 Near costal Voyage exam (Engine)
On obtain NCV 2nd mate you can sail as 2nd mate in near coastal voyage/on obtaining class 4 NCV certificate can sail as 4th engineer in coastal voyage
Can Rise up to the rank of Master Marine /Marine Engineer.
(NOTE: Sea time requirements May vary from time to time. Please check with the administration)
Best GP Rating Maritime Institutes in India.
D.G Shipping Approved Institutes for GP Rating Course in India
• *Commander Ali’s Academy of M’ Navy (Hyderabad) Telangana
• *Sri Chakara Maritime College (Pondicherry) P’cherry
• *Tamilnadu Maritime Academy (Thoothukudi) Tamil Nadu
• *Marine Training Academy (MTA) (Daman) Daman.
"*" These are the Top four institutes having 100% passing in each course.
• Asha International Institute of Marine Technology - (Varanasi) Uttar Pradesh
• Maritime Academy of India -(Kolkata) West Bengal
• Maritime Education Training & Research Institute –(Kolkata) West Bengal
• Orissa Maritime Academy - (Paradip) Orissa
• Trident College of Marine Technology - (near Kolkata) West Bengal.
• Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Govt. Polytechnic, (Port Blair) (Andaman & Nicobar)
• Aquatech Institute of Maritime Studies (New Delhi / Gurgaon) Haryana
• J. Sons Merchant Navy Institute - (Meerut) Uttar Pradesh
• Sriram Institute of Marine Studies - (New Delhi / Gurgaon)
• Euro Tech Maritime Academy (Cochin) Kerala
• Balaji Seamen Training Institute (Chennai) Tamil Nadu
• Cosmopolitan Tech of Maritime College (Chennai) Tamil Nadu
• Hindustan Institute of Maritime Training (HIMT), (Chennai) Tamil Nadu
• Indus Seafarers Training Academy (Chennai) Tamil Nadu
• International Maritime Academy (Chennai) Tamil Nadu
• Marine Officer’s Training Academy (MOTA) (Pondicherry) P’cherry
• Maritime Foundation (Chennai) Tamil Nadu
• Southern Academy of Maritime Studies, (Chennai) Tamil Nadu
• School of Seamanship & Naut. Tech., Kancheepuram.
• Arya Marine Academy (Raigard Dist, Mum – Pune Rd.) Maharashtra-
• B.P. Marine Academy (Belapur – Navi Mumbai) Maharashtra
• Bonzer Academy (Raigard Dist, near Mahad) Maharashtra
• Columbus Maritime Trg Inst (Khardi) (Mum-Nashik Rd.) Maharashtra
• MMTI's Education & Research Trust (MMTI) (Raigard Distt.) Maharashtra
• T Ship Rahaman Academy (N’Sheva, Raigarh Distt.) Maharashtra
• Yak Educational Trust (Near Khapoli off Mum–Pune Rd) Maharashtra
• Baba Marine Institute (Vada, Thane Dist.) Maharashtra –
• Marine Medical Clinic, Mumbai (Khardi) (Mum-Nashik Rd.) Maharashtra.
• NUSI Maritime Academy (Salcete) Goa
• Sea Scan Maritime Foundation (Chicalim) Goa.